Manchester United produced one other beautiful second-half comeback to sentence West Ham to a 3-1 defeat on the day they welcomed followers again to the London Stadium.
The Hammers opened their gates to 2,000 supporters for the primary time since February 29, and appeared heading in the right direction for a memorable victory when Tomas Soucek’s first-half strike gave them the lead towards an insipid Manchester United.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer rung the adjustments on the break and his substitutes reworked the sport, with Bruno Fernandes organising Paul Pogba’s very good equaliser earlier than the Portuguese had a hand in Mason Greenwood’s medical strike.
Having turned the sport on its head in three second-half minutes, Marcus Rashford then sealed the victory, lifting the ball over Lukasz Fabianski after fellow substitute Juan Mata performed him by way of on objective.
The victory extends Manchester United’s club-record away profitable run to 9 video games and strikes them into the highest 4, whereas West Ham drop to seventh having missed the possibility to go third.
West Ham: Fabianski (6), Coufal (5), Balbuena (5), Ogbonna (5), Cresswell (5), Masuaku (5), Rice (7), Soucek (7), Bowen (7), Fornals (6), Haller (5).
Subs: Johnson (n/a), Lanzini (5), Benrahma (5).
Man Utd: Henderson (7), Wan-Bissaka (6), Lindelof (6), Maguire (7), Telles (7), McTominay (6), Pogba (8), Greenwood (8), Van de Beek (5), Martial (6), Cavani (5).
Subs: Mata (7), Fernandes (8), Rashford (8).
Man of the Match: Marcus Rashford.
How Man Utd crashed West Ham homecoming…
Two thousand West Ham supporters gave a stirring rendition of ‘I am Without end Blowing Bubbles’ on their much-anticipated return to the London Stadium, and so they practically had an early objective to rejoice.
The energetic Jarrod Bowen raced in behind the Manchester United defence and drilled a shot previous the outstretched leg of Dean Henderson on his full Premier League debut for the guests, however the effort was dominated out for offside.
- Sebastien Haller changed the injured Michail Antonio in West Ham’s solely change from Monday’s victory over Aston Villa.
- Dean Henderson and Edinson Cavani made their first Premier League begins for Man Utd as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made 5 adjustments from the victory at Southampton.
West Ham had been sharper in each division as they stifled the specter of Manchester United and peppered the visiting objective in the hunt for the breakthrough, which practically got here after the half-hour mark.
Pablo Fornals headed an excellent probability into the side-netting and, three minutes later, was then denied by the body of the objective as his toe poke got here off the woodwork and into the palms of Henderson.
The West Ham strain lastly instructed on 38 minutes when Declan Rice’s near-post flick from a nook arrange Soucek to bundle the opener house from shut vary, because the Hammers punished non-existent Manchester United defending.
West Ham ought to have added a quickfire second, however, having rounded the on-rushing Henderson, Sebastien Haller misplaced his footing on the essential second, permitting the Manchester United goalkeeper to smother the ball.
Anthony Martial drew Fabianski right into a fantastic fingertip save with Manchester United’s first significant try on the West Ham objective, however the Hammers had been properly value their half-time lead, which might have been larger had Haller transformed an opportunity in stoppage time.
Solskjaer introduced on Fernandes and Rashford on the break and Manchester United’s enchancment was each instantaneous and drastic, however they may have been two down had Bowen stretched far sufficient to transform Vladimir Coufal’s teasing cross.
Scott McTominay thrashed a shot into the side-netting and the constructing momentum instructed on 65 minutes. Henderson’s lengthy punted clearance was adjudged to have stayed in play down the correct touchline and Fernandes rolled the ball into the trail of Pogba, who wrapped an beautiful shot into the highest nook to degree the scores.
One rapidly grew to become two, with Greenwood plucking down Alex Telles’ cross from the left earlier than rifling Manchester United into the lead with a medical shot by way of Fabianski.
The woodwork prevented Rashford from placing the sport to mattress on 72 minutes, as Manchester United continued to use enormous gaps within the West Ham defence, however he made no mistake six minutes later, floating the ball over Fabianski after latching onto Mata’s perfectly-weighted by way of ball as Solskjaer’s facet drew an emphatic line beneath a shambolic first half.
Opta stats – Subs encourage Man Utd
- All three of Manchester United’s substitutes had been immediately concerned in a objective towards West Ham (Rashford, Fernandes and Mata), which is simply the second time this has occurred for the Crimson Devils in a Premier League recreation – beforehand in August 2017 v Leicester (Rashford, Lingard and Fellaini).
- Manchester United have received their first 5 away video games in a league marketing campaign for the primary time since 1985-86.
- This was the fourth time West Ham have confronted Manchester United in a Premier League recreation whereas being above them within the desk, nevertheless they’ve did not win any of those conferences (D1 L3).
- Following their win tonight, Manchester United have now received extra factors from shedding positions than another crew in Premier League historical past (385).
- Manchester United are solely the second facet in Premier League historical past to attain 2+ targets in 9 consecutive away video games, after Leeds United again in April 2001.
- Since his debut in February, Bruno Fernandes has been immediately concerned in 36 targets in 38 video games in all competitions for Manchester United (22 targets, 14 assists) – 5 greater than another Premier League participant on this interval.
West Ham journey to Leeds on Friday Night time Soccer at 8pm – stay on Sky Sports activities Premier League.
Manchester United journey to RB Leipzig for a vital Champions League group-stage conflict on Tuesday at 8pm, earlier than internet hosting Manchester Metropolis on Saturday Night time Soccer at 5.30pm – stay on Sky Sports activities Premier League.