Carlos Vinicius scored his first two Tottenham objectives as Jose Mourinho’s facet remained on the right track to succeed in the Europa League knockout stage with a cushty victory in opposition to Ludogorets.
The Premier League leaders, tied on 9 factors on the high of Group J however second to Antwerp resulting from an inferior head-to-head report, can seal qualification with some extent away to Austrian facet LASK subsequent Thursday.
Spurs repeated the dominance they displayed within the 3-1 win in Bulgaria three weeks in the past and Vinicius translated that superiority into two objectives earlier than half-time.
The Brazilian, on a season-long mortgage from Benfica, bought his second due to Dele Alli’s selfless go throughout purpose when he may simply have shot himself.
Harry Winks added a 3rd from 50 yards – though afterwards admitted he was attempting to go to Gareth Bale quite than shoot – as he caught out Ludogorets keeper Plamen Iliev halfway via the second half.
Vinicius then turned supplier for compatriot Lucas Moura to wrap up a good-looking victory.
Solely Tanguy Ndombele retained his beginning place from Saturday’s victory over Manchester Metropolis, with Mourinho opting to relaxation key gamers earlier than Sunday’s Premier League assembly with third-placed Chelsea.
It was a fifth straight win for Spurs, whose shock defeat by Antwerp – their opponents within the ultimate group recreation – is their solely defeat in 16 matches in all competitions.
Alli decided to show level
Alli and Vinicius had been two of 4 gamers substituted after 45 minutes within the defeat by Antwerp, however each impressed on this event – albeit in opposition to restricted opposition.
Previous to Thursday’s match, Alli had twice been changed at half-time in his three begins this season however the 24-year-old confirmed glimpses of his previous self in an instrumental show.
It was Alli’s through-ball, meant for Bale, which was deflected into the trail of Vinicius for Spurs’ Sixteenth-minute breakthrough.
The England playmaker then nudged the ball into Vinicius’ path for the Brazilian striker’s second after he adopted up Ndombele’s saved shot.
The previous MK Dons participant continued to work onerous till his 81st-minute substitution, wrestling again possession and discovering the energetic Vinicius to arrange Moura’s fourth.
It was a step in the best path for Alli who, having been linked with a transfer from Spurs over the summer season, has reduce a peripheral determine this time period.
However with 10 video games in 32 days to return for Spurs earlier than the tip of the 12 months, this efficiency could persuade Mourinho he can depend on Alli for the challenges forward.
Spurs preserve momentum
Mourinho spoke of Tottenham’s ongoing “evolution” following their assertion win in opposition to Pep Guardiola’s Metropolis – however insisted his facet aren’t preventing to win the Premier League regardless of being high of the desk this far right into a top-flight season for the primary time since 1985.
Attempt as he may to quell speak of a title problem, the actual fact Tottenham are in pole place with near 1 / 4 of such an unpredictable marketing campaign gone can’t be disregarded.
The simple win in opposition to Ludogorets was the newest suggestion – a 12 months on from the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino – that Mourinho’s in-form facet are in rivalry to finish a 12-year trophy drought.
Ought to success not arrive domestically, the squad depth demonstrated by Thursday’s 10 modifications suggests the Europa League – which Mourinho gained with Manchester United in 2017 – provides a practical path to silverware.
With the consequence determined, 16-year-old Dane Scarlett got here on in its place to turn into Spurs’ youngest participant in a aggressive recreation and twice went near scoring a debut purpose as Spurs introduced the final 32 firmly in sight.
Spurs’ finest run for 2 years – the stats
- Tottenham have gained 5 consecutive matches in all competitions for the primary time since a run of six underneath Mauricio Pochettino in November 2018.
- Mourinho’s facet have saved three consecutive clear sheets for the primary time since April 2019.
- Spurs have scored in 25 of their 26 house matches within the Europa League for the reason that competitors’s rebranding in 2009-10.
- Carlos Vinicius’ first objectives for Spurs arrived in his fifth look for the membership in all competitions. He has been concerned in 5 objectives in 4 European video games for Tottenham.
- Harry Winks’ purpose got here from a distance of 53.7 yards – solely two objectives have been scored from additional out within the Europa League since 2009-10 (Jordi Gomez for Omonia Nicosia in opposition to PSV (61.2 yards) and Kemar Roofe for Rangers in opposition to Normal Liege (55.4 yards) – each in October of this 12 months).
Tottenham are away to Chelsea on Sunday at 16:30 GMT, earlier than travelling to LASK of their penultimate Europa League group recreation subsequent Thursday (17:55).
- 12HartSubstituted forWhitemanat 82′minutes
- 6D Sánchez
- 28NdombeleBooked at 52minsSubstituted forHøjbjergat 61′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 9BaleSubstituted forClarkeat 68′minutes
- 20AlliSubstituted forWhiteat 82′minutes
- 27Lucas MouraSubstituted forScarlettat 82′minutes
- 45Alves Morais
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 11DespodovBooked at 43minsSubstituted forTekpeteyat 64′minutes
- 12AndrianantenainaSubstituted forOliveira Souzaat 68′minutes
- 25BadjiSubstituted forYordanovat 90′minutes
- 64YankovSubstituted forMitkovat 90′minutes
- 28KeseruBooked at 6minsSubstituted forTchibotaat 68′minutes
- 32Gonçalves Leal Sá
- 95Oliveira Souza
- Giorgi Kruashvili
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Ludogorets Razgrad 0.
Second Half ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Ludogorets Razgrad 0.
Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Dimitar Mitkov (Ludogorets Razgrad).
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham Hotspur) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Foul by Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham Hotspur).
Ivan Yordanov (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Substitution, Ludogorets Razgrad. Dimitar Mitkov replaces Dominik Yankov.
Substitution, Ludogorets Razgrad. Ivan Yordanov replaces Stéphane Badji.
Try missed. Harvey White (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from outdoors the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Dane Scarlett.
Try saved. Dane Scarlett (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Harry Winks with a via ball.
Nook, Ludogorets Razgrad. Conceded by Davinson Sánchez.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Dane Scarlett replaces Lucas Moura.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Harvey White replaces Dele Alli.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Alfie Whiteman replaces Joe Hart.
Foul by Jack Clarke (Tottenham Hotspur).
Anton Nedyalkov (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Try missed. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is just too excessive. Assisted by Jack Clarke.
Foul by Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur).
Cauly (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
- Watch 13 FA Cup second-round video games on BBC iPlayer, the BBC Sport web site and app this weekend. Find out more here.