A court docket has heard why union boss Kathy Jackson ‘selfishly’ rorted greater than $100,000 out of low-paid members to fund her lavish spending habits.
The 52-year-old has prevented jail for utilizing work bank cards and doubtful expense claims to spend HSU funds on abroad journeys, costly artwork, furnishings and a luxurious automotive.
“You selfishly used your cash in your personal life-style functions,” County Court docket of Victoria Choose Amanda Fox stated on Thursday.
She ordered Jackson to a jail time period of 24 months, nevertheless it was wholly suspended for 2 years and 6 months.
The previous Well being Companies Union boss took greater than $102,892.85 throughout her time on the job.
The choose discovered the ex-Victorian and nationwide secretary confirmed no regret and by no means apologised for her crimes.
“I discover it was motivated by greed not want and maybe a way of entitlement,” Choose Fox informed Jackson.
The choose stated she took benefit of her place as head of the union and abused the belief of these round her to take the cash which was principally from the charges of union members.
The present head of the Well being Companies Union Lloyd Williams stated in an announcement the impression in opposition to the union had been “monumental”.
“For a interval, the HSU grew to become a byword for corruption,” he stated.
“The scandals related to senior officers grew to become infamous.”
Jackson pleaded responsible to 2 costs of acquiring monetary benefit by deception to the tune of $67,792.85 in October.
After her plea it was revealed the previous union head was discovered responsible of two extra related costs after a two-month trial final yr.
She denied the allegations in opposition to her at trial and took to the stand in her defence.
“I’m simply completely devastated that I’ve ended up on this place by making an attempt to do the appropriate factor all the way in which alongside,” Jackson informed the jurors.
However they didn’t imagine her on two counts and located her responsible of spending $22,000 on a Mercedes Benz for her then husband and splurging $13,100 on a visit she wrongly claimed from the HSU.
She admitted final month to utilizing three union bank cards for private spending and took 23 unauthorised journeys interstate and abroad between 2003 and 2010.
A visit to Bali booked simply days earlier than was a “spur of the second” resolution, the court docket was beforehand informed.
She spent greater than $56,000 on abroad journeys to lavish locations akin to a New 12 months’s Eve journey to New York staying on the expensive Paramount Lodge and “procuring journeys” to India and Hong Kong with pals.
Jackson blew the whistle on her predecessor former Labor MP Craig Thompson and the ex-union basic secretary Michael Williamson in 2011.
WHAT KATHY JACKSON USED UNION MONEY FOR:
- Wrongly reimbursed journey bills for a US journey, valued at $13,100
- A $22,000 black Mercedes for her former husband claimed as “authorized charges”
- Portrait by Australian artist Charles Blackman for $4,636.00, claimed as “convention/seminar”, which was hung at her Melbourne house
- Present basket to a good friend for $576.70, claimed as “lodging and journey”
- Furnishings together with cabinets, curtains and a desk lamp valued at $1950, claimed as “relocation bills”
- A “Fap Anis” poster purchased for $1000, claimed as “leisure”, which was additionally hung at her house
- As much as 23 situations of interstate and worldwide journey to the USA, Europe, Bali, Hong Kong and India valued at $56,273.78
- DVDs and video video games at JB Hello-Fi price $1070.72